Friday, June 4, 2010

Reviewing a review

So getting reviewed is quite a wild thing.
It is emotional and personal and painful and helpful.

The first Zip-Tie review ever was posted on The Noise (underground music zine in Boston area) this week. What a review indeed....

To begin with, the dude reviewed our first record, weedpunkNtea instead of Heavy Love Child which we were told would be in this month's issue(the chick reviewing HLC apparently didn't finish in time to make the deadline...it will be in next month's edition). Anywho, at first read it's a little harsh. He bashes it a bit for being cliche but also being a brocilage at the sametime(which I actually have grown to love). Sidenote, the fact that I had to look up a few of the words that this guy used to review our music is annoying and hilarious. It's an in your face punk record for God's sake! Ha, whatever...The first couple reads of the review disappointed me and made me self conscious for about 15 minutes. But that's it. It didn't take long to realize that a review like this is actually better than a sweet review saying that it was incredible! It pushes us to prove this guy wrong and also pushes us to piss more people off. I mean the man says at the end of the review, "I’m tempted to say from what I did hear that this mostly sounds like how fire ants eating my face must feel. (Francis DiMenno)"

THAT'S AWESOME!! I want to make him feel that face eatingness all the time! It didn't help that the CD he received couldn't play the last three tracks, so we had that working against us...DIY discs rule!

Basically, a written criticism of work that you've produced and poured yourself into provides a wonderful feeling that encompasses a lot of different emotions that will only help you keep working hard at making awesome material and making other people say weird shit about it.

Check out the review and let me know your thoughts!

http://www.thenoise-boston.com/content/view/330/10 (have to scroll halfway down or so)

2 comments:

  1. I just noticed this post! Congrats on being reviewed, even if it was a bit bizarre. There will be so many more where that came from, some to your liking, some confusing, but all inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read the whole review. The guy kinda sucks. But I'd like to see what he says about the new album, because I DEFINITELY think you guys have grown since the first. I'm seeing you guys settle into something that more resembles what you want to be, but I also don't see you staying in that place for long. What I love about Zip-tie is that you do and will continue to evolve as your lives and your experiences do. This review is nothing more than another step in the process of your evolution. Embrace it!

    ReplyDelete